Popular Posts

Thursday 21 July 2011

Guest post from The Gingerbread House

Well my lovely readers, I've got a lovely surprise for you.  As part of a Britmums blog swap doodah (official term!), I get to host a post from the lovely Jenny from The Gingerbread House, who you can also find on Twitter at @gingerbread_mum.  Enjoy!

Hi everyone. My name is Jenny and I blog at The Gingerbread House. I love Betty’s blog and am so happy to be appearing! As Betty writes about life with her daughter I thought I would write a post about bringing up a boy.


For as long as I've thought about having a family I've wanted a boy. When I was pregnant and people asked me if I wanted a boy or a girl they seemed surprised when I said a boy. Mums of boys told me I was wrong and should want a girl instead. However, I remember growing up with an older sister who never wanted to play with me or do the things I was interested in (I was a bit of a tomboy!). I also saw my sister bring up her three daughters. All I longed for was a boy!


With my second pregnancy people again ask me if I have a preference, many assume I must want a girl as I already have a boy. I want another boy. I feel I know how to bring up a boy and wonder how I’ll cope if I have a girl. I thought I would put together my top tips for dealing with a boy…


My top tips for dealing with a boy
* buy quality clothes which will stand up to puddles, mud, climbing, etc
* don't ever expect to sit down for a minute
* ensure plenty of entertainment with easy and quick access to a playground or large open spaces
* don’t forget they need extra love and cuddles when ill (just like daddy)
* make sure you always have plenty of food as they eat like a horse
* don't invest in books or toys which you want them to cherish, wait until they’ve got through the destructive phase
* don’t waste your time or money on pointless mother and baby classes (I signed up to a term of appreciating classical music when the only bit he enjoyed was the bubbles)
* routine is important, by 6pm all we can cope with is CBeebies Bedtime Hour and a bottle of milk.


I love my son and would not swap him for a girl! I love everything about him, his cheekiness, his boldness, his constant need to climb, explore and generally push boundaries. I wouldn't have it any other way.


Thanks for reading my tongue in cheek look at bringing up a boy. Follow my adventures and see if I'm successful over at The Gingerbread House


Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment