Popular Posts

Wednesday 20 July 2011

Askeys Butterscotch Sauce- review and experiments!

The fabulous people at Baking Mad sent lucky Madam a bottle of Askey's NEW Butterscotch flavoured Treat sauce.  This delicious sauce claims to magically transform any dessert into an even tastier treat, feel free to use this sauce how you please- the more creative the better!

First we went the traditional route and Madam had some sauce over a bowl of ice cream.  Not too runny, but also not so thick that is wouldn't come out of the bottle.  It has a lovely smell, not chemical, and the taste is just right, certainly not over powering.  It helps that the sauce is free from artificial colours and flavours, also free from preservatives.


I thought the sweetness of the sauce might be good in coffee, but had to try it out on my mum as I don't drink the stuff myself (I have enough trouble sleeping as it is!).  She had about 2 teaspoons of Butterscotch sauce in a regular sized mug of black coffee, and said it smelt lovely, and also had a nice after taste to it, the sweetness staying in her mouth rather than bitter coffee.  So, that's a thumbs up from mother dearest, she even tried to pinch the bottle of sauce on her way out!

Following on from the positive coffee experiment, I tried a teaspoonful of the sauce in a mug of hot chocolate.  Except I picked up the wrong sachet of chocolate- Butterscotch sauce does not mix well with Mint Chocolate drink, yuck!

I whipped up some pancakes as a weekend breakfast treat (and by 'whipped up', I actually mean 'went to the shop and bought some') and drizzled the sauce over those, Mr B had 4 so they tasted rather good too apparently!  I felt that the sauce gave them a nice sweet hit, but I couldn't eat more than one without feeling like I weighed about 1000lbs for the rest of the day!

On the whole, my family really enjoyed the adding the sauce to our favourites puddings and drinks, and I plan on making sure I have a bottle in the cupboard for special treats. 

I certainly recommend that you pop over to Baking Mad's Facebook page here, a fantastic place where you can swap recipes, share advice, show off your own creations or ask questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment