Popular Posts

Wednesday 13 April 2011

Is Breast Best?

Don't worry, I'm not here to start a debate!  I was watching the BBC3 documentary last night, presented by Cherry Healey.  I found myself in a similar position to her when Madam was born, I managed to exclusively breastfeed for just the first three days, as the importance of baby getting colostrum had been drilled into me at pre-natal classes.  However, I suffered from extreme pain as Madam wasn't latching properly, and started supplementing her diet with formula milk at 4 days old.  I got infection after infection in my breasts, had cracked and bleeding nipples, yet I still felt incredible guilt for not purely breastfeeding!

It was nice to see different groups represented, from a teen mum who didn't want to breastfeed at all, as she didn't see her boobs to be anything but for 'show', to a group of lactivists who strongly felt that boobs had no other purpose than to feed babies.  I think the programme presented itself well, without making formula-feeding mummies feel too bad, but I would have liked to have seen a bit more on the fact that formula has come a long way into being something that provides the nutrients, etc, that a baby needs, even if it's not as good as breast milk.

Still, I must be honest- I was very glad when Madam weaned and I had the 'twins' back to myself!  Those midnight milky burps were missed a little, but the joy at seeing different expressions on Madam's face as she tasted different things was great!



(Even if she did make one hell of a mess!)

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post hunni. I felt the same guilt but dont think i will be so hard on myself next time round xxx

    ReplyDelete